Monday 23 May 2011

Tuesday 17th May - Lanhydrock and catching up with old Friends

Today was the day to catch up with my Childhood friend Sue (was Cooke) Mitchell and her husband Bryan. We were meeting up in the afternoon so went to Lanhydrock for the morning what a difference to last year. The explosion of Bluebelles were over and many of the flowering shrubs had finished. I had a good nose around the flower borders though as the gardeners had removed the Tulips and wallflowers and were double digging all the beds and had a tractor full of some lovely looking manure.

Our traditional stop for coffee was quite hilarious as we sat outside sipping coffee the old chap next to us had finished his and for some reason (he was foreign) decided to chuck his dregs away.....just as a Hairy Hippy looking bloke walked past. Luckily I think his walking boots got most of it.

We enjoyed a mooch around the house but a couple were taking two little girls round. They were nice kids but the visits to the playroom and nursery were traumatic as the littlest one screamed the place down and kept trying to crawl under the barrier to get to the toys. You cant really blame her she was only tiny.  I struggled a bit as I couldnt really read any of the write ups they had.

When we finished I left Bill outside the plant shop and went in and treated myself to some plants for a gravel garden.

We drove into Bodmin for lunch as we thought the sarnies in the NT tearooms looked a bit boring and expensive and we chanced upon Barneys of Bodmin. What a lovely place for a snack and what lovely helpful service too. We had the special, Toasted Cheese and Pineapple sarnies with salad and a small dish of chips each for the same price (well 50p more) as pathetic Nt cheese and Tomato. The Cafe is in the Old Guildhall and having just checked their website the Hall dates back to the 16th Century.

We drove over to St Breward to meet up with Sue and Bryan. I have known Sue since I was a Baby my Mum and hers nursed together except Molly was a sister and my mum was a nurse.

Sue and Bryans home is a sort of smallholding I list randomly :- 3 cats, 2 dogs, a guinea pig, chicken, duck, goose and turkey eggs in an incubator in the utility room.  Cat curled up on incubator ducklings hatching and cheeping inside. Outside Turkeys Geese Goslings Chickens Tortoises.

Sue and Bryan must be getting close to retirement age but with the constant return of their own goslings will they ever achieve it!! They had just purchased a Caravan on Ebay as a residence for Ben who has left his lodgings in St Austell and is currently sleeping on the Sofa as the other bedrooms are taken up by other offspring who appear reluctant to fledge.

Poor Bryan is on crutches as a Hip Replacement has got infected and he is waiting for an op. He cannot weight bear on his bad leg and I watched in horror as he struggled across the bumpy garden through long grass past the abandoned ebay purchase (its not in its final abode yet) around some long grass by 'stuff waiting to go to the tip' and got into our car for a visit to the pub.

I wont go on about Dinner as we went to the Old Mill and I chose the Vegetarian option as Pasta Bake with Broccoli and Stilton sounded lovely - it wasnt it was horrible. So I drowned my sorrows in too much white wine.

By the time we left the pub it was late and the mist was coming down. We had a quick coffee and some major reminiscing and then drove back to Treknow. It was black Misty and frightening and I began to wish I had had a little more to drink.

No comments: