Monday 30 May 2011

Wednesday 18th May - Bude and Sandymouth Bay

The day started in the same way the previous had ended as we woke up to the same missle (if there is such a word). We gazed out at a thick mist as we listened to the weatherman tell us that there was no sun allocated to Cornwall today.

We decided to drive to Bude as there was an indication from the weatherman that there would be less chance of rain. We arrived in dry but grey conditions and by the time we had wandered around the shops and strolled down by the canal the rain had set in. We did the only thing you can on a wet day in Cornwall shopped for sunglassed and I was delighted to bump into a BOGOF and bought two pairs.


We returned to the car and decided to have a drive down the lanes. We always camped at Bude when I was young and I knew the campsite was just north of Bude. We meandered around the lanes and finally found the National Trust car park at Sandymouth Bay 


This was the beach of my childhood we scrambled down the steep pebble bank and wandered around the beach for an hour. Golly it brought back memories. The tide was out but the wind was vicious we walked almost back to Bude before turning back and heading for the beach Cafe up above the Pebble Bank. I had a rather scrummy Chicken Burger and some Organic Ginger Beer. All this talking of childhood holidays and Ginger Beer makes me sound like one of the Famous Five.

After lunch we headed back to Bude to buy vittals for tea namely a loaf of bread. We were served by a lady with the wierdest voice on the planet and all I can think was that she had something happen to her vocal chords. Her voice was so wierd I couldnt concentrate. We also bought a nice flapjack for me and a boring Chelsea bun for Bill.



We left Bude and went back via the coastal route and took some lovely snaps of Widemouth Bay from the top of the hill then on to Boscastle via Crackington Haven.
Lovely stroll around Boscastle admiring the rebuilding work they had done lovely things with stone walls and cobbles. We treated ourselves to a local Organic Ice-Cream in a Sugar Cone from Helsett Farm. Why anyone would ever want to eat an ice-cream in a wafer defies my understanding its like putting tap water in Malt Whisky.

Back to our Holiday home and we dined on Locally Baked Bread with Cheese and Beetroot and I tucked into my lovely flapjack.

No comments: